Saturday, October 25, 2008

what is leadership?




What is leadership? I've been wrestling with this question most of my adult life. I've often occupied positions that have called me to exercise leadership over groups of people. I've always felt this internal pressure to be a superman of sorts, a heroic figure with cape flapping away in the breeze. A hyper-competent know it all that will show up to solve all of humanities problems.
What a 'sucky' paradigm.
Who can live up to this? I can't. I end up putting on a persona
I'm tired of trying.
So, when it comes to this idea of alternate atlanta, i think the following is a fair statement... i'd love to get your feedback.

Leadership is not getting the community to follow one great man's vision as much as this.. Leadership is getting the community to face its biggest problems.

I'm wrestling to lead in a way that my life serves as a mirror to help people understand themselves better... that my life serves as a sign post that points people to the kind of relationship with God and others that brings healing and health to our worlds... that my life will serve as a catalyst discover in community God's call to follow Him.

I need your help. I'm broken but feel called. Jesus keeps messing up my paradigms.

2 comments:

roy said...

agree completely. I would add "Leadership is getting the community to face it's biggest problem AND realize their greatest possibilities."

great thoughts. also - community has an issue with romanticizing over their leaders...placing all pressure for 'turn around' or delivery from their issues in the hands of their leader. this is whack and isn't sustainable.

Anonymous said...

agree with your revised def... true that w/ romanticising leaders.. they should be appreciated, supported and recognized and very human..
good thots roy