Monday, July 09, 2007

opposites

I have the pleasure of making my way through Orthodoxy, a book by GK Chesterton, with a few friends - it's a great read. It has made me think of the subtle complexity that exists amongst the simplest of things. Seldom do we think about the the knowns of this world, these common & understood things. It is weird how at one moment we can crave routine for security sake and then in the next be fed up with our lives and want to move to some foreign place (at least I do). Making note of the paradoxes that exist in the Christian life (ie. to die is gain, one must die so one can live, etc) GK says this;

Christianity got over the difficulty of combining furious opposites, by keeping them both, and keeping them both furious. - GK Chesterton

If you are desiring a good read & have an inkling to find some mystery in the seemingly mundane, I highly suggest the book. However, one must read with a friend, its just too much to read and keep bottled in.

No comments: