Thursday, May 24, 2007

Lost and Mother Teresa

If you have not seen the last episode...stop reading now. Here is my thinking. It does not matter if you are on the island or off of the island. If you are lost, you are lost. If you have purpose, you have purpose. People want to be going somewhere. When they are not going anywhere, they die.

So I am thinking about what the purpose of the church is, Christians included. It is easy for us to not go anywhere and just be consumers; even, dare I say, consumers of Christ. Would He want us to fix our eyes on Him in our groups, church, bible studies and personal worship time and ignore the social ills of the day? You know the answer; we fix our eyes on Him when we tackle the social ills of the day. Meditation and communion are good but as Mother Teresa said, "Adore your Lord and then go out and look for Him" That is "going somewhere."

What might compel us to be men and women who are going somewhere? Might it be the recognition that there is a force that is against us and our movement? Might it be the love of Christ? Might it be some real talk? Tenderness applies here I think. Some need healing and help. Me? I find I often need someone to grab me and say, "Lets go look for Jesus!"

No comments: