Sunday, January 13, 2008

This Morning's sermon....

So it's January, and like usual Randy Pope is doing a series that is a bit psychoanalytical. I must say, I started visiting Perimeter during January a few years back and it kinda threw me off because it's different than your normal preaching--topical or otherwise--he diagnoses a problem in our modern thinking and way of life, and then doesn't treat the symptom, but cuts right to the core. And this one is cutting me deep, Shrek...cutting me deep!

How 'bout you? Are you too busy, filling your days with meaningless tasks, activity, even good things, like church work? If so, do you ever stop to think about why? Actually, I think that's precisely why we keep busy, so we don't have to think--just keep doing. I loved CS Lewis quote, because it is largely an American thing, to keep active and keep doing, never slowing down.

But again, Why? Seriously, what are you thinking is your reason for your busy-ness? And how are you planning on changing? Can you see any possible way to carve out that time for solitude? Post your ideas in the comment section.

I think the post below about rest will give some more insight into the 'why' of all of this. And I agree--it does start with our thinking, and our sense of self-worth. So I want to leave you with a passage to meditate on from Colossians three. As Randy said this morning, when God looks at us, He not only sees us as special, and important, but as perfect as His Son:

For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, is revealed, then you also will be revealed with Him in glory.



PS. I was in the gym, and it was quite good, between amazing worship and a sweet time of communion. Plus, you gotta love the laid-back atmosphere and the brief announcements:) Many of us 'gatheringites' were in there this morning...join us next week.

1 comment:

James Christerson said...

Hey Scotty, Good Post...

I think the way I plan on carving out a disciplined time of solitude is rather practical and piggy backs on David's talk last night.

I NEED a time, a place, and a subject. If I don't have those then my time with God will be as random as the rest of my day.

Right now it involves my kitchen table, early in the morning, a cup of coffee, a bagel, and my bible. Also, right now I am not studying anything too lofty, I am just going through Randy's bible reading plan.