Sunday, June 24, 2007

Whatchoo been eatin?

Today was our time for sightseeing. We took in the pyramids, sphynx, and the Cairo Museum. It is abosolutely incredible to see how many artifacts have been recovered from thousands of years ago. Many of them are in such good shape! My awe for the skill and brilliance of the ancient Egyptians has increased exponentially. I couldn't help but wonder that this was the culture that God chose to humble. Their things are still here, but this once mighty nation is no more. Interesting. . .

We also went to a church service this evening. We didn't understand the sermon. . . or the songs. . . but we did take part in the Lord's Supper with our brothers and sisters and it was sweet! There's an advantage to ignorance, though. Every once in a while I am struck by just how big God's plan is, (I'm sure I don't actually have a clue though). Listening to people worship God in another tongue is special. Every nation. Every tribe. Every tongue. It is a taste of eternity. Even if you're not in Cairo next Sunday, take a moment and listen. Don't do it for too long. Your worship leader will start getting self concscious! But just listen, and imagine the incalculable numbers of worshippers from every background you can imagine, making the most joyful and worshipful noise ever! I don't know what that will really sound like, but I like to think I got a taste of it, listening to Arabic praise tonight, (and imagining some English, Slovak and Spanish also)!

Random thought: we could learn a real life lesson from camels. Matt once preached a sermon about bad breath. He said you don't know you have it, but everyone else does. But I'll bet, if you're like me, you get a little nervous at the thought that you MIGHT have bad breath. When that happens, I try to direct my breath downward. I'm uncomfortable if people step close, or want to hug, or seem too interested in our conversation. My soul has bad breath pretty frequently and I try to take a few steps back from the friend in front of me. BUT CAMELS, they have awful breath, and they share it with ease. I'm not telling you to get comfortable with your sin, just to go ahead and give your friend a hug when you find yourself in the midst of it! And definitely, DEFINITELY be willing to hug your spiritually stinky amigos! How else can we bear one another's burdens and "do life together?" Just a thought. . .

1 comment:

roy said...

glad to read everyone is safe and sound. sounds like a great time fo sho. post some pics if u can.